Thursday, June 24, 2010

Solar Lights Stink

I try to avoid writing this blog in the first person. I know, I know--it's a BLOG! But in the interest of trying to maintain some objectivity when blogging about the benefits of our products, I prefer not to just drone on about "our lights do this", "our technology is great"--yes, our products and technology are innovative, affordable and amazing (like how I slipped that in??), but you will realize the benefits of Mr Beams on your own; my goal is to provide you with interesting (I hope) tips and tricks about how/where/when you can use Mr Beams. However, this blog is geared at using battery operated lights, like ours, instead of solar and it relates to my own experience.

It's really simple. Ohio is NOT Southern California. The sunshine reliability factor is absent here in Cleveland, along with many other regions of the country, I'm sure. "Going green" with solar lighting may be a shoe-in when you live in California where the sunshine is abundant. As sustainability efforts take hold in other parts of the country, everyone wants to do his and her part. I know many people who have replaced existing wired outdoor lighting with or added solar lights. Guess what? If you live in the Midwest, they stink! The PV cells in most of the off-the-shelf solar products require a full charge to be even semi-effective. There's no way that solar lights can compete with the consistency or reliability of regular, wired product.

When our family decided to launch a landscaping project, a professional landscaping firm came in to help us carefully lay out a plan. Most of the work was going to be done by us, but neither my husband nor I have the vision or knowledge of where to put which plants. We embarked on an involved and thoughtful process. Part of our project included replacing existing wired path lighting along the front walk with solar lights. We made a modest investment in "quality" solar lights, installed them, and waited for nighttime. Alas, when nighttime fell the wan lighting results were unbelievably disappointing. We would have been better off simply cutting the wires on the previous set up.

Fast-forward--Mr Beams Path Lights just stick in the ground (or you can mount them to steps, buildings, whatever), emit a low-glow when darkness falls so you can achieve some level of lighting, and when motion is detected (people, pets) , the lights kick it up to provide reasonable and effective lighting. A really simple off-grid lighting solution that anyone can undertake.

I know I'm not alone--there is a house I pass almost every day and it makes me laugh because a few weeks ago they added some solar lights to their front yard. Then a few more popped up. Then more (this is true)! My guess is that the owners are increasing the quantity of the solar lights in order to achieve the quality of lighting they're looking for. (Either that or they have found a way to grow solar lights.) You don't have to go there. Wireless Environment will guarantee that the Path Lights will meet or exceed your expectations--and I am behind that guarantee 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment